Mad Gods - Edward Toovey

Some people like their game to do ALL the talking. They send a TAP file, and nothing else beyond a brief hello. Others provide exposition, sometimes even full developer notes, a revision history, and brief novella to usher the player into the fictive dream.... Then there is the third way. A chirpy letter with a compelling sale pitch, designed to excite the player with tales of the fun that lies ahead. I would say Edward falls into this third category:

Dear Sir

More thrilling than a rollercoaster, longer than a baguette, deeper than the Mariana trench we present Mad Gods.

We have employed the finest writers, graphic artists and musicians to bring you this digital masterpiece.

Despite not being released yet we have won numerous awards.

"Best adventure game 2023"

Mum

"Didn't know you could write like this"

Dad

"I played for 5 minutes including loading time and can say it is bug free."

Big Sis

"I'm sure this will rock, I'll try it one day."

Little Sis

I hope you get many hours enjoyment from it.

from all at SuperCodeMastersRockingGame


I think there is something charmingly nostalgic about this letter, something of the childhood bedroom coder, with reviews from mum, dad, big and little sis. I am also caught by the games title "Mad Gods", I like it. Who are these Mad Gods? And in what way are they mad? Are they Angry, insane, or both? I guess there's only one way to find out...


The game has a loading screen. That is unusual in the comp so far, although it is very basic. 


The game is a text adventure. 


I type "x god" - The game tells me about a pebble. Oh dear. 


So, you can move N,S,E,W, as you do, the locations become surreal. My favorite is "you are between two slices of bread". As you walk around, without a clue what you are trying to do, an angry god follows you around saying annoying things that are most unhelpful. There are also a number of items to find as you travel around. 


I mean, I think that's about it. Can you complete this game? I have no idea. 

Despite the fact that I have made a text adventure I am actually terrible at playing them - even when they are the very best of the genre. Sadly Mad Gods isn't quite up there with the Hobbit, or Zork. However, some effort has been put into this. I found the surreal nature of the locations amusing for 5 minutes, and the game felt competently made in places. 

Maybe there is more to this game than I was able to find. Maybe you will play it and find your way out of the idiot sandwich I found myself in. As usual, please let me know if you do, and I will update the review.

Finally summary

Ultimately, two questions must be answered:

1) Did the game deserve the hype of the initial letter? No.

2) What type of mad gods were they? I still don't know.

Crap! Play it here





Comments