ChatGPT for ZX Spectrum - Alexandre Colella

Roy Batty - Blade Runner

ChatGPT. *Everyone* is talking about it. But what is it? Some sort of AI that can write computer programs? An AI that can answer technical programming questions, even for retro machines? Maybe. But what does this mean for humanity? So many questions, I thought I better try to learn more... 

Unfortunately the site is at capacity so I can't get it to write this review for me, nor can I get answers to any of my questions. However, I was left with this ChatGPT poem. I mean it's no The North Ship is it?

So my lack of access to the site is a real world problem, that perhaps a CGC entry can help with. Ladies and gentlemen, I present ChatGPT for ZX Spectrum, by Alexandre Colella.

Because what Alexandre has managed to do, is to somehow replicate the full power of ChatGPT, but using less that 1k of Sinclair Basic code. Clearly then, the man should be worshiped like a god. Instant winner of the best software to enter this comp. No more Etch A Sketch clones to tediously pick through. Case closed, GAME OVER man, game over - competition closed.

------------------------------------

Everything above that line, I wrote before running the program.

So what we have here is a simple program, that does not, in reality, provide anything close to an AI implementation. In fact the listing is provided in full on the screen below. 

I can't complain, because of the following two reasons:

a) I have submitted worse in previous years (Chutney Inspector)

b) This is NOT an Etch A Sketch clone.

This is a non game, that attempts to capture the zeitgeist. Oh, what does the future hold? Robot police oppressing's the working class, courtesy of Boston Dynamics? All white collar jobs made redundant by AI? Should I take my Spectrum and throw it in the lake now, or is it 40 years too late? Who were the Ludites, and what did they stand for? What was Stanley Kubrick trying to say about technology in 2001? Who is Ted Kaczynski? Does ChatGPT have such existential meltdowns? And for that matter, do androids dream of electric sheep?

I can answer none of this, but we started with a poem, so I'll end on something poetic. The words of a fictional android, Roy Batty, from the 1982 film, Blade Runner:

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion... I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain... Time to die."

Are you wondering if ChatGPT for ZX Spectrum wrote this review? Find out here.

Comments