SUPER (advanced fishing simulator) +3code

“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway



Well that's good, because I have never been fishing, and now I have to review SUPER (advanced fishing simulator) and I can only assume it is so realistic, that my lack of fishing knowledge is really going to disadvantage me.

So what have we here? +3code has made a fishing simulator for the Same Coupe which is a computer I have no idea about whatsoever. Sadly, I don't have a this machine, so I am emulating. Challenge 1 was figuring out how to load the game.

+3code explained "put the disk in, and type BOOT."

Somehow, I missed this important message and really struggled to figure it out. I even downloaded the original manual as a PDF. This manual has got to be one of the worst manuals I have ever read. After about 20 minutes I finally figured out you have to type 'BOOT'. 

At this point I played Prince of Persia for a bit. Wow, that really is an impressive port, and shows off what the coupe is capable of.


Wow. Great.

Hopefully, SUPER (advanced fishing simulator) will be just as good!

The game is written in basic, and is purely black and white. There is no loading screen, but upon loading, you are presented with a fairly detailed menu. Unfortunately, some of the options are only available via the DLC. Sadly the DLC content isn't on the disk, so I wasn't able to hack the code and try the full game.


This game attracts lots of crap points for immediately trying to upsell you the DLC - see above. Although I suspect the DLC is not really available.

After selecting a number of options, including location, the advanced fishing experience begins...


I like this minimal design. And there are a number of different fishing locations you can visit. This is a nice touch.

After a while, you get a bite. At this point a message appears on the screen with some options. You have a bout 2 seconds to figure out what you are supposed to do. If you fail, and I did, over and over again, you get a little message. 



If you fail to catch the fish you have the option to try again. This option simply restarts the whole game.

“But man is not made for defeat," he said. "A man can be destroyed but not defeated.” - Hemingway


As with the best crap games, there is a touch of humor. Ah, yes, that beautiful landscape. This will help me while away the hours, waiting for a bite.

Eventually I managed to catch a fish.  At that point the game ends. It is not that exciting. Is this really how fishing is?

In +3code's own words

Thanks for playing the 'SUPER (advanced fishing simulator)'


You must be aware: the 'SUPER (advanced fishing simulator)' 
isn't only a game...
isn't only a program...

NO

it's a opportunity of a deep learning in your Self...
it's a way to reach the One with the Nature and the Universe...
it's something that can't be expressed with words...

...And what some of the previous players have said?

-"Without the 'SUPER (advanced fishing simulator)' I could never have reached the Nirvana. It's fucking great!!"
The Pope



WARNING: Sadly this is the last version for Z80 computers, as the next version, "Super SUPER Advanced Fishing Simulator Mega Turbo Deluxe Edition" will require at least of PowerPC architectures.

Final thoughts

Were you surprised to learn the Pope likes fishing simulators and owns a Sam Coupe? I know I was.

This is a fairly basic fishing game. I don't really know if it deserves the words 'SUPER' or 'advanced' in it's title. Catching the fish felt a little anti-climatic.

However,  there are some nice touches:

The different locations, and simple graphical style
The little messages that are displayed as you wait for a bite

In the end, I think SUPER (advanced fishing simulator) by +3code, is not about the actual catching of the fish. I think its about more than that. It's about the quite contemplation, it's about the connection between you, the line in your hand, and the fish below the waters edge.

It's about the trickery deep in a mans soul. The need to kill another life in order to live. It's about the battle that is life. Quite profound, indeed spiritual.  

“You did not kill the fish only to keep alive and to sell for food, he thought. You killed him for pride and because you are a fisherman. You loved him when he was alive and you loved him after. If you love him, it is not a sin to kill him. Or is it more?” - Hemingway

Get it here

Etcetera

I just discovered this game is a sequel. See the other games here and here.

Comments