A few crazy days in the life of a crap game competition host

Andy Warhol once said everyone would get 15 minutes of fame. When I agreed to host the competition this year, I never thought for a second that us crap game makers would end up having our moment of international attention.

So this is not a review, although, due to some recent DIY activities, I am well behind on reviews, but a little update about the last few days.

I think this Guardian article was released Wednesday... There was a sudden flurry of messages while I was at work. A few colleagues, with me at the time found out about the article and my secret other life as a spectrum geek. 

Someone read my quotes out loud in the office, before I'd read it myself. My toes curling in fear of hearing the nonsense I might have spoken earlier to Mr Pelley.

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2023/jul/06/people-competing-to-make-the-worst-computer-games-possible?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Actually, I shouldn't have worried. The excellent article got people talking about their first experiences with computers, the BBC micro came up a lot. Hard to imagine this was some people's dad's work computer.

Welcome to Hull, where I live. In the news again for Crap!! 

Then after work, about 8pm, as I was repairing my 1984 Suzuki FZ50 moped, I received another email, this time from a Canadian radio station, asking for an interview. With great trepidation I messaged my mobile number, part hoping they would not call. But ring they did, and I had an enjoyable conversation the the shows editor.

Last night, I sat in the garden, and listened to the show on my phone. It was after dark, but still light enough to see the odd bat circling the area looking to catch a moth or some other insect for its lunch. They wrote a piece for their website, and the interview is there too:

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/2023-crap-games-contest-1.6900431

On the article, which they were writing yesterday, they managed to call me James and make me several years older than I really was! Although they promised to correct this once I pointed it out.

No sooner that that was all done than I had a message on twitter from Times Radio, inviting me to their London studio for an interview. That seems like a long way to go though. Well, we'll see I guess. I hope all this will blow over now and be forgotten. Otherwise I will have 15000 reviews to write. But it has been fun, a little bit stressful, but also interesting to talk to non scene people about this bonkers little pass time of ours.

Now, I better get back to my inbox and review some games before Firelord Quality Games declares me dead!

For more on bats, click here:

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/blog/2020/05/bats-in-gardens/

UPDATE 15/7/2023

Here is the link to my interview with Ed Vaisey. I feature in the last 10 minutes of the show, talking crap of course. thetimes.co.uk




Comments