Overis - Andy Jenkinson

Overis CCSCGC2023 by Andy Jenkinson

This game uses the awesome power of OVER printing (something I learnt all about when I spent time making a compiled version of spectrum Cross, from Casette50 a few years ago - available on Itch ;) ). Using OVER printing, the player must gradually remove chunky blocks graphics in something a bit akin to Tetris or Dr Mario even.

The keys are simple enough, just  O and P for left and right. and the game has the following features:

  • All BASIC
  • No UDGS
  • Five levels

This screen is animated!

Level one of five

As with some of Andy's earlier entries this game features the possibility of a negative score. See above. I like this mechanic very much, because it makes the game feel modern and also it makes the scoring seem serious. Like it would be suitable for a high score challenge. Although, leave me out of it, as this game is rock hard!

The presentation of the game is lovely. Nice graphics and clever use of 'No UDG's. I think the little Gameboy type graphic in the bottom left made me look twice. The use of the graphic mode is impressive!

I'm also a fan of the grey colour scheme. I often think this grey, black and white scheme isn't used enough. It is reminiscent of Andy Cap the game. Actually, the thermometer shaped time bar is also somewhat similar to the  Alcometer. Probably a coincidence.



Anyway, this is a great little game. It's a little too fiddley for me, and I found it hard to get the hang of, mainly due to the lack of response from the keyboard, the precision needed and, lets face it, the brain power required. 

However, I kept going. And realized that I had been playing the game completely wrong - I had thought you had to get the lines all black! 

Armed with a new understanding I was able to win the game. Winning is actually about those red and black squares at the top of the screen. Eventually I won! Whereupon I was treated to a few bars of a familiar tune :)


Final thoughts

This isn't crap at all. You should go play it right now. See if you can beat my amazing score of -11.

Andy has made some really good and interesting games this year - Overis is one of them. All together his work represents a great collection all of it's own. As I get to the end of my time I reflect it has been a lot of fun to review and play these games. Perhaps being a host changes the nature of the crap games made? Maybe this experience is changing me, and I'll want to make better games next year? Thoughtful, intelligent games that are still crap. That's a fine goal. It's one I would struggle to achieve I think (not the crap part obvs.), but its not been a problem for Andy - knocking 'em out one after the other. Very well done indeed!

Come see















Comments